Sign Up for Audition Notices
Please complete our contact form to sign up for audition notices.
All auditions at Contra Costa Civic Theatre, 951 Pomona Ave, El Cerrito, unless otherwise noted.
The sound of music
Music by RICHARD RODGERS
Lyrics by OSCAR HAMMERSTEIN II
Book by HOWARD LINDSAY and RUSSEL CROUSE
Suggested by "The Trapp Family Singers" by Maria Augusta Trapp
Directed by Marilyn Langbehn
Music Direction by Kevin Roland
Choreography by Rick Wallace
YOUTH AUDITIONS - Saturday, March 28, 12-5pm
ADULT AUDITIONS - Monday, March 30, 7-10pm
Saturday, April 4
April 27, 2015
5 girls, to appear ages 6, 7, 9, 13, and 16
3 boys, to appear 10, 14 and 17
10 men, ages 25-60
12 women, ages 25-60
Prep song from a published musical, no longer than 90 seconds. Legit voice, please; no belt. Bring sheet music in your key; accompanist provided. Rehearsals begin April 27, 2015; show dates Fri-Sun, Jun 12-Jul 19, no performance on Jul 3-4; two-show day on Jul 5. Non-AEA. Travel stipend. Audition appointments at https://ccctauditions.wufoo.com/forms/ccct-auditions-for-the-sound-of-music/. No phone calls, please. Cast breakdown available below.
- Maria Rainer (musical theatre mix/soprano, dance, 20-35) A postulant at Nonnberg Abbey.
- Captain Georg von Trapp (baritone, moves well, 35-45) A retired Austrian naval captain.
- Max Detweiller (tenor/baritone, moves well, 30+) A man of sophistication who enjoys the good life
- Elsa Schrader (mezzo soprano, moves well, 35-45) A baroness of taste and elegance, sophisticated, dignified and mature.
- Mother Abbess (legit soprano, wide vocal range, 40+) Head of Nonnberg Abbey.
- Sister Berthe (alto, moves well) Mistress of Novices.
- Sister Margaretta (mezzo, moves well) Mistress of Postulants.
- Sister Sophia (soprano, moves well) One of the nuns at Nonnberg Abbey
- Franz (non-singing, 30+) The von Trapp butler, loyal to the Fascist cause.
- Frau Schmidt (non-singing, 30+) The housekeeper
- Herr Zeller (non-singing, 40+) Nazi official
- Rolf Gruber (low tenor, dance, 17) Suitor to Liesl, telegram delivery boy, later Nazi soldier.
THE VON TRAPP CHILDREN
- Liesl (mezzo, dance, 16) The oldest child, blossoming into a young lady with an interest in boys.
- Friedrich (age 14) Tough exterior, very much trying to be "the man" of the family.
- Louisa (age 13) Rebellious attitude.
- Kurt (age 10, falsetto) Gentle and mischievous.
- Brigitta (age 9) Smart, reads a lot.
- Marta (age 7) Very sweet and gentle.
- Gretl (age 6). The youngest.
- 5-10 adult male chorus members: Nazi soldiers, Salzburg citizens and Georg's friends (of naval background).
- 5-10 adult female chorus members: Salzburg citizens, new postulant, nuns, novices, postulants and contestants in the Festival Concert.